For the Defense

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The person who wrote the editorial, "Futilitarianism", published in the CRIMSON for Saturday last, seems to be somewhat confused as to the difference between the aim and policies of the Harvard Dramatic Club.

It is quite conceivable that a club might exist for the single purpose of presenting plays never before produced in this country. But although it is difficult to surmise the influence which that idea had in the minds of the club's founders, it probably was not of major importance. In my opinion the greatest justification for the existence of the club is that it does give to college men, interested in whatever branch of the dramatic arts, the opportunity to get some practical experience on the stage before large audiences; I consider this the raison d'etre of the club. And with this purpose even the new Dramatic School does not materially interfere.

The presentation of plays never before given in this country has been merely the traditional policy of the club. And oddly enough, the CRIMSON in the past has repeatedly attacked this policy as wornout, antiquated--as an obstacle to any worth-while accomplishment. Yet the editor now "regrets the present step not only because it is abandoning a tried and sure program, but because the new attitude is so entirely unworthy of the former."

Few people have any idea how difficult it is to find a play, never before produced in America, which is worthy-- according to any standard of worth--of a second glance. New plays that "take" are immediately snapped up by Broad-way producers, and the club is consequently confined to "exotic spectacles", or "mediocre attempts" of obscure authors at drama.

I feel that further pursuit of that policy eventually will defeat the true purpose of the club as I see it. Most people are not interested in attempts at drama; they must be entertained. The success of the University Players on Cape Cod clearly demonstrated the belief of the public that college players can and do give excellent presentations of good plays.

The opinions expressed above are purely my personal views, and are not to be regarded as an official or authorized statement of the attitude of the Executive Committee. Grenville R. Holden '31   Secretary of The Harvard Dramatic Club.