MURPHY TALKS TODAY ON CHINESE ARCHITECTURE

"CONDITIONS IN CHINA" TOPIC FOR TOMORROW'S LECTURE

Henry Killam Murphy, architectural adviser during 1929 to the National Government of China, will give two lectures in the Fogg Museum. The first lecture. "Chinese Architecture; With Special Reference to its adaptation to Modern Requirements," is under the auspices of the division of Fine Arts and will be given today at 4.30 o'clock. The second, "Conditions in Modern China as I have seen them," will be given tomorrow at 8 o'clock and is under the auspices of the Harvard-Yenching Institute.

Mr. Murphy is a native of New Haven where he graduated from Yale in 1899 followed by a year of graduate work in preparation for his career as an architect. In 1914 he visited China in connection with the designing of college buildings for St. Paul's College at Tokyo, and for Yale-in-China at Changsha, the latter group being an adaptation of Chinese architecture. It is in connection with this work that Mr. Murphy derived his inspiration for the careful study of the buildings of the "Forbidden City" at Peking, which led to his permanent interest in the adaptation of the old architecture of China to modern needs. This has not only been a study in theory but in actual practice, including as varied subjects as banks, office buildings, college groups and similar designs.

In the summer of 1928 Murphy was appointed Architectural Adviser for the National Government, in the task of planning Nanking as the new national capital, and also for the undertaking of designs for a great group of buildings to house the National Government.