A NEW VENTURE

Smith and Holyoke have joined with Mass. Aggie and Amherst for the purpose of producing an intercollegiate daily newspaper. This new experiment in journalism will be watched with considerable interest by those colleges who cannot themselves support a daily paper. There seem to be many difficulties to prevent this alliance from becoming a success, but the instigators of the scheme deserve praise for their courage in attempting a venture in an entirely new field.

The only possible way to control this entente and correlate the offerings is to do as has been planned: appoint professional journalists to the executive posts. This removes something of the flavor of a student enterprise from the undertaking but provides the necessary unbiased mediator between the four very different institutions. However it is doubtful if men and womens' colleges, even when close neighbors, can have enough in common to provide material for a joint newspaper. College journalism is supported by the interest of the students in their own activities, but Amherst can hardly be expected to show a vital interest in archery contests at Smith, nor can the girls at Northampton be counted on to respond whole heartedly to an appeal for football candidates.