Students are Warned by Police for Using Out-of-State Auto Licenses--Harvard Parking Offenders Will Also be Penalized

A statement has been issued by Cambridge police authorities warning all students who are driving cars without state licenses that they are liable for arrest if they do not immediately register their automobiles according to Massachusetts Laws. When a person becomes a student of Harvard he automatically becomes a resident of the State of Massachusetts and must procure Massachusetts automobile tags at once, police officials stated.

Drivers are liable for a fine of $100 under this ruling, and no exceptions will be made. If cars are not insured under the Massachusetts ruling any amount of damage may be collected in case of an accident.

Ignorance of the law is believed by officials to be the chief cause of this delinquency. However, the fact is also pointed out that the cost of securing licenses and insurance policies has been greatly misunderstood. Total cost for the rest of the year would be in the neighborhood of $15. Of course, renewals must be made for the year 1931.

Results of a survey ordered last summer by the Cambridge City Council to determine the extent to which out-of-town motorists are violating parking regulations were recently reported. Of 357 offenders discovered during the survey 160 were found to be from other communities. Most of the violations were at Harvard Square, where 117 of a total of 184 infractions of the rules were by out-of-town drivers. In regard to this situation Harvard officials said that in looking into this matter consideration would be given only to commuters who do not live in Cambridge, and students living at Harvard who drive automobiles would have to look out for themselves.