THE NEW FOGG IN LONDON

A recent announcement states that the new art institute at the University of London will be modelled after the Fogg Museum of Art. The imitation of the scope and methods of a Harvard institution is reminiscent of the case of Paris Business School. Apparently, in the teaching of the fine arts us well as in business administration, the New World can make definite contribution to the Old.

Architectural detail and the conveniences for study and lectures are obviously well enough done to be worthy of imitation, but these are not characteristics peculiar to the Fogg Museum alone. The museum is unique in its close coordination between instruction in the history of art and the exhibits in its galleries. In this respect it differs from most college museums, which are apt to be nothing but repositories for all material accumulated by gifts or haphazard purchase regardless of its illustrative value. In marked contrast to the heterogeneous mixtures of good, bad, and indifferent creations of past ages usually seen in such exhibits, there is a definite purpose behind every object in the Fogg galleries. Discrimination as to artistic merits and historic importance is shown in the selection of all objects for public display.

In addition to this entente between the student of art history and the museum galleries, there are special facilities for instruction in the various artistic techniques. Equipment and efficient methods of instruction do not necessarily mean the creation of art. Nevertheless, the convenient and adequate facilities in the Fogg Museum can succeed in arousing an appreciation for the work of others.