Announce Plans and Personnel of Eliot House, Third of New Building Units

Assistant Professor and Tutor is Named for Position--Lowell, Moore, Hanford and Harkness Honorary Associates

Plans for Eliot House, the third and final completely new unit to go up under the House Plan, were released yesterday at University Hall at the same time that Professor Roger Bigelow Merriman '96, master of the house, announced his list of Associates, and resident and non-resident tutors.

The plans include an architect's sketch of the whole building together with a general description of the unit that will occupy the corner of Memorial Drive and Boylston Street. Professor Merriman's list includes four Honorary Associates, eight Associates, five resident tutors together with a head tutor, and 10 non-resident tutors.

Honorary Associates

The honorary Associates are President Lowell, Edward S. Harkness, donor of the House Plan, Dean Clifford H. Moore, and Dean A. C. Hanford. The Associates are as follows:

Thomas Nelson Perkins '91, Fellow of Harvard College; Fred Norris Robinson '91, Professor of English; Theodore Lyman '97. Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, Emeritus, and Director of the Jefferson Physical Laboratory; Chandler Rathfon Post '40, Professor of Greek and of Fine Arts; George David Birkhoff '40, Professor of Mathematics, and Tutor in the Division of Mathematics; Thomas Barbour '60, Professor of Zoology, Di- rector of the University Museum and of the Museum of Comparative Zoology; Clarence 'Henry Haring '07, Professor of Latin-American History and Economics: Arthur Darby Nock, Frothingham Professor of the History of Religion.

Francis Otto Matthiessen, Assistant Professor and Tutor in History and Literature, is head tutor while the resident tutors are as follows: Derwent Stainthorpe Whittlesey, Assistant Professor of Geography, and Tutor in Geology; Clyde Cannon Webster, Instructor in Romance Languages, and Tutor in the Division of Modern Languages; William Hathaway Forbes '23,. Instructor and Tutor in Bio-Chemical Sciences, Martin Christian Rudolf Grabau '23. Instructor in Physics, and Tutor in the Division of the Physical Sciences; Howard Nott Doughty, Jr. '26, Instructor in English, and Tutor in the Division of Modern Languages; a tutor from the Division of History, Government, and Economics is still to be appointed.

The non-resident tutors include the following: Marston Morse, Professor of Mathematics; Bishop Carleton Hunt, Instructor in Economics; Edward Hastings Chamberlin, Assistant Professor of Economics; James Wilkinson Miller '28, Instructor in Philosophy; Michael Karpovich, Lecturer on History; Charles Washburn Putnam '11, Instructor in Government; William Ellery Sedgwick '22, Instructor in English; Theodore Spencer, Instructor in English; John Milton Potter '26, Instructor in History; Robert Durant Feild, Instructor in Fine Arts.

Construction work on the house, goes forward rapidly. This unit, named in memory of Charles William Eliot, President of the University from 1869 to 1909, will be completed, ready for occupancy, in September, 1931, simultaneously with the other four remaining House units.

Eliot House will be slightly the largest of the Houses. The shape of the building will conform to the lot being approximately hexagonal. It surrounds a court which will open upon Memorial Drive and the Charles River.

The building will follow the prevailing style of the new Houses, Georgian, to conform with the University's building tradition. It is of brick and limestone, the brickwork to correspond to that of Dunster House, with colored mortar.

A tower will balance the Dunster House tower, and frame for the observer the panoramic view of five of Harvard's Houses as seen from across the river. This tower will rise from the central part of the building, which backs on Smith Halls.

As the visitor approaches the new building through the great gate on Memorial Drive, the tower, and the central building which it surmounts, will face him. In this section of the House are located the large and small common rooms, flanking the dining hall. A terrace confronts the visitor as he approaches the dining hall. Mounting the steps to the terrace and passing through the dining hall he will come to the serving rooms. These serving rooms are similar to those in Lowell House.

The visitor, if he comes from the down-river side of Memorial Drive toward the gate, will encounter first the Master's house. This building will be joined to the main portion of the House at the rear. Next to the Master's house, but nearer the gate, the visitor comes upon a dormitory building of five stories, which becomes three-story in the portion flanking the gate. Entering the gate and moving toward the terrace, the visitor will see to his right a dormitory building joining the buildings on the drive to the central portion of the House.

On the visitor's left as he enters the gate is another three-story section, joining a five-story section which turns the corner of the Drive and runs along Boylston Street, meeting the central building at the corner nearest Smith Balls. The library is located on the second floor of the section at the corner of Boylston Street and Memorial Drive.

The library will be a large Georgian room, panelled in oak. The dining hall and the large common room will also be finished in oak, and the small common room in pine.ARCHITECT'S CONCEPTION OF ELIOT HOUSE