OLD AND NEW

Edward L. Casey '19 and Arnold Horween '20 played together on the same football team in Casey's last year at college. Today the official announcement is made that Casey succeeds the Chicagoan as the director of Harvard's football destinies in the future. It is a happy coincidence that these two men who, both as undergraduates and as coaches, have done so much for Harvard football, should succeed each other in the position of head coach.

Horween has made his mark on Soldiers Field. His teams, it is true, have met with a variance of fortune, but he has clearly demonstrated that a head coach does not necessarily have to be a slave driver, and that in spite of spectacular gate receipts and modern front page publicity, the elements which originally made football a sport for the player can be retained. The sanity which he has shown in the handling of his men has made for a healthier situation on the Harvard field, and he has been a fine influence on intercollegiate football in general.

Horween's successor will probably adopt different technical tactics. But whatever system Casey may choose to employ he is assured at the outset of the loyal support of the University body. Both his past record as a coach and the quality of material available for next season inspire confidence. The CRIMSON congratulates him on his appointment and wishes him the fullest success.