JUSTICE FOR ALL

The Annual Report of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau indicates the growing importance which is being attached to this part of the University. According to the Bureau's annual report, more cases have been handled and more clients served gratuitously during this fiscal year than ever before. As a result of the Bureau's affiliation with the Phillips Brooks Association, its service has been extended to include anyone connected with Harvard or Radcliffe.

The Harvard Legal Aid is one of many similar bureaus established in all the large cities throughout the country. Due to the complexity of the law in this complex present-day society, and the recognized power of wealth in deciding litigations, many aliens and persons without the means to protect themselves have to yield unjustly their pounds of flesh. It is the primary purpose of the Bureau to assist such as these.

However, the Harvard Bureau does not limit its aid to cases of general destitution in Cambridge. Not all students realize that this service is also at their disposal. Such legal difficulties as rent contracts, buying and selling, and automobile accidents can most conveniently be handled by applying to Garnet Hall adjacent to the Square. A Bureau such as this is another indication of the place of the University in modern life as compared to a past conception of the University as an academic retreat from life.