THE WAXING DRAMA

The growth of the Cambridge School of the Drama has been gratifying to all those interested in the renaissance of dramatic instruction at Harvard. There have been many difficulties encountered and successfully overcome which have arisen from the awkward nature of dramatic expression. The lack of funds, however, has been the chief drawback to the development of the school, and with the situation now much better in this respect there is every reason to expect a substantial increase in the facilities for production and teaching.

The school was originated last year as an attempt to bring back the prestige Harvard lost when George Pierce Baker and his 47 Workshop departed for New Haven. Its connection with the University was only semi-official, and those few pioneers in the venture had not much but hopes for the future to sustain them. Now with a building which is fully satisfactory for experimental productions and with the policies of its administration somewhat crystallized the school is ready for the expansion which is planned for after mid-years. The best advertisement for it are the recommendations of the members who have already had one year's acquaintance with the experiment, but its real justification for existence will come from the future creations of the students who have been fully trained there in the dramatic arts.