Cinema ~:~ THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER ~:~ Music

Old Songs and New Settings Combine to Make Successful Picture out of Popular Musical Comedy

By J. M.

Many will remember "Sally" as a musical comedy of about ten years ago and in which Marilyn Miller and Leon Errol were the stars. The current "singing, dancing and talking" First National picture at the Uptown (which by the way, bids fair to become a leading first-run house in Boston) is based on the old play by Guy Bolton and Jerome Kern, the collaborators on many successful musical shows including Fred Stone's latest.

Those who like Marilyn Miller will find her every bit as attractive on the screen as on the stage. The star of "Rosalie" and "Sunny" dances better than ever and sings well enough to earn her the honor of having the best musical comedy voice of the present generation.

Joe E. Browne taking Leon Errol's old part of the Grand Duke Connie does not have the leading role that makes him so successful on the stage. His comedy dance with Miss. Miller, and his scenes with Ford Sterling, who plays the Czechoslovakian night-club proprietor are amusing in the extreme.

It is a joy to hear the old songs again, this time augmented by one or two new ones. "There's a Silver Lining", "Sally", "Wild Rose", "All I Want to do is Dance" are all good put on with skill reminiscent of Ziegfeld.

There are those who will complain of the 30 seconds of Miss Miller's weeping, her giggling, and that she is no actress, but as she is continually dancing or singing it matters little and of Alexander Gray's unconvincing "rich young clubman" part; but a chance to see the gorgeous sets in Technicolor, and the really excellent dancing and singing by Miss Miller to catchy music shouldn't be turned down.