CHINESE ORATORS WIN OVER CRIMSON DEBATERS

V. K. KWONG '29 PLEADS FOR THE RECOGNITION OF CHINA

In the first international debate of the year, the Chinese University Debating Council defeated the Harvard speakers when: "Resolved, That this house views with approval the immediate abolition of Extra-territoriality by China" was debated at Ford Hall in Boston last night, the University taking the negative side of the question. The decision was the result of a vote, made by members of the audience, who were three to one in favor of the winning team.

China was represented by two speakers, one of them a graduate of Harvard. They were: V. K. Kwong '29, Hongkong, China; and S. L. Chang, Swatow, China, W. E. Esber '31, and J. M. Swigert '30 spoke for the University. The chairman of the program was professor of Government, A. N. Holcombe.

Kwong's arguments included the topic that Americans do not understand the Chinese as a civilized race of people, the attitude caused by the press being wrong. When questioned after the debate he made the following statement: "The Chinese are not just laundrymen and restaurant owners; there is a higher class of people, educated people. The abolition of Extra-territoriality will come in China, whether the western nations want it or not, and after it does come China will not be in a more disorganized state, for the foreign interference is a cause of frequent uprisings."

The American students in reply doubted China's ability to govern herself and cited many examples in an attempt to prove their point. Swigert, who was in China, stated that at many times he felt as if his life was in danger, due to the stories of continual uprisings. He also brought out the fact that China will not be recognized by the western nations until she has a stable government.