Fradd Cooperates With Kodak Company in Producing of Better Freshman Silhouettes--One-Third of Class Need Exercises

Influenced by the need of a simpler and less expensive method of taking posture pictures, Norman W. Fradd, Director of the Hemenway Gymnasium, and M. C. Reed of the Eastman Kodak Company, in 1925, perfected a means by which satisfactory silhouettes were produced. A camera man was obtained from the Eastman Kodak Stores, Inc., and the resulting machine was the silhouetteograph.

The Eastman Kodak Company took over the manufacture of the machines and at the present day the silhouetteograph is used in many colleges and schools throughout the country. The equipment used in the taking and developing of the silhouettes consists of a camera, sensitized bromide paper, developer, fixing-bath, and a linen frame. The expense of operating the silhouetteograph, not including the cost of lighting, amounts to about a half a cent for an exposure.

Mr. Fradd points out that the use of enlarged silhouettes at the beginning of the college year stimulates in the Freshmen, an interest in body mechanics. This is desirable because each year between one-fourth and one-third of the first year class is required to take the special exercises.

He adds further that the opinion that these exercises prohibit Freshmen to take part in other forms of athletics is unfounded. Men who are able to compete in other sports and fulfill their requirements in the Special Exercises are priviliged to do so.

Mr. Fradd is pleased to note, however, that the reactions of the men to this training, once begun, are favorable. This he proves by the fact that 40 per cent of the men now taking part in them have asked for another six weeks session after the termination of the present one. Many undergraduates have also asked for special periods of instruction in the exercises. Although it has been impossible to comply with this wish, plans are being made to accommodate all upper classmen who desire to profit by them next year.