Mountaineering Club to Stage Two Foreign Trips During the Summer--Groups Will Visit British Columbia and Switzerland

Lincoln O'Brien 11, president of the Mountaineering Club, has announced that two foreign trips have been arranged for this summer. Skelkirk mountains in British Columbia will be the scene of the first trip, which will last for three weeks; the second excursion will be a skiing trip in Switzerland.

The trip to British Columbia will be made up of three caravans. The first will be led by O'Brien; the second by Noel Odell, of Oxford, instructor of Geology, and the third R. L. M. Underhill '09, instructor of Philosophy. Head quarters will be made at Glacier. B. C. with other camps in various valleys. Odell is known for having reached the highest altitude on Mount Everett and surviving the trip. The caravan expects to attain an altitude of 7000 feet. A cook and helpers will supply plenty of fresh food, while large tents will be used as sleeping quarters.

The ski trip to Switzerland will be one without guides. It will be the first American summer ski trip made without a guide. The skiing will start from an altitude of 1500 fete. Shiing is an art the pursuance of which members of the club consider of the utmost importance as a part of their club activities. One of the requirements for full membership in the club is that the individual be versed in this sport. Skiing is more in vogue, in Europe, however.

The club has for its instructor an internationally known skier Otto Schniebs of Bavaria.

The European trip last year was a comparative success. Two climbs of note were made, one taking 15 and the other six and a half hours. An interesting feature of the latter trip was one group of three, called a "rope", which made the trip in tuxedos.

The club has been active this season, with a mountain climbing or skiing trip each week end. To be an active member of the club one must have made the ascent of two major glacier-hung peaks. By "major" is meant a difficult climb.

The present membership of the club totals 150.