MODEL ASSEMBLY IS TO BE HELD AT YALE

Expected That About 25 Will Attend the Meeting--Program Based Strictly on League Procedure

A delegation of about 25 Harvard students is expected to attend a model League of Nations assembly which will be held at Yale on April 25 and 26. Known as the New England Colleges' League of Nations' Model Assembly, it is the successor of the assemblies at Amherst and Mt. Holyoke, though it will also gain inspiration from the similar assemblies held at Vassar and Radcliffe.

Last April at Mount Holyoke 23 colleges and universities were represented with an attendance of 600. This included delegations of foreign students. The Radcliffe assembly was initiated through Harvard last May with the cooperation of Sir Herbert Ames, Treasurer of the League of Nations from 1919 to 1926, Professor W. Y. Elliott, and Professor C. J. Friedrich '20.

Procedure at New Haven will be based strictly on that of the League of Nations. A plenary session and two ordinary sessions will be held. Committees on credentials, procedure, and amendments will be chosen and will act just as at Geneva. Discussion, also as in the League, will follow League rules. Amendments will be presented for discussion by Rapporteurs of committees which have been supposedly drafting the revisions of the Covenant.

"The advantage gained from this procedure will be that the delegates and spectators will gain what amounts to a picture of the League itself working", said one of the leaders of the assembly. "Artificiality must of course enter the meeting because of this procedure. Yet this is best for all concerned; for in a brief and huge meeting such as this spontaneous action means pandemonium."

The controversial questions for discussion will do much to dissipate any appearance of artificiality. After the welcoming address on Saturday morning by President Angell of Yale, who is Honorary President of the Advisory Council for the Assembly, the eleventh session of the sixth plenary meeting will immediately convene. They will discuss the "Compulsory Settlement of All International Disputes by Peaceful Means." The discussion will take the form of a debate on an amendment to the Covenant designed to "close the gap" which at present permits of war as a means of settlement of some disputes. Several amendments would be necessary to embody the new principle completely, and these will all be drafted and circulated; but one of these will be selected as the key one for debating the principle. After the amendment has been debated, a vote will be taken.

"Security and Sanctions Against Aggressor Nations" will be the subject of the afternoon session which will be modeled after an ordinary session of a plenary meeting. The procedure will be materially the same as that of the morning session. The question will give delegates a chance to speak as nationals of their respective countries.

"The Monroe Doctrine" will be the topic of the final session Saturday evening. The Rapporteur will introduce an amendment proposing to leave out the words "like the Monroe Doctrine" in Article 21 of the Covenant, which recog-