HARVARD GREAT SCENE OF SQUASH ACTIVITY

Prominent Sports Writer Describes Cambridge as Breeding Spot for Champions

In a recently published book, "The Racquet Game", (The MacMillan Co,) Allison Danzig, well known sports writer for the New York "Times", describes the origin and development of court tennis, racquets, squash racquets, and squash tennis. Danzing writes also of the problems, methods of play, and outstanding players in each of these games, giving records of all the champions. He devotes a chapter to Jay Gould and Tom Pettitt.

In his chapter on "Squash Racquets in Boston" Danzig states, "Since 1924 the greatest center of squash racquets in the country has been at Harvard University. Not only are there more players at Harvard than at any other center of the game, but most of the best players of the country during the past five years have been pupils of Cowles."

He quotes Cowles as ranking the players he has coached in the following order: Palmer Dixon, R. S. Wright '21, H. N. Rawlins '27, M. P. Baker '22, G. D. Debevoise '26, E. M. Upjohn '25, P. M. Lenhart '27, Malcolm Bradlee '22, Carroll Harrington '24, and E. M. Hinkle '23. Cowles points out that Ogden Phipps '31, captain of the Crimson team, has recently defeated several of these players.