NAVAL R. O. T. C. TO HOLD WEEKLY INFANTRY DRILLS

Innovation to Form Regular Part of Naval Science Curriculum--Rogers Building Scene of Militarism

Infantry drills will be held for members of the Harvard Naval R. O. T. C. unit one hour weekly, beginning Wednesday, according to an announcement of the department of Naval Science and Tacties.

Drills will continue for ten weeks and will cover squad, platoon, company, and battalion organization. They will be held on Wednesdays and Thursdays in the Rogers building. It is planned to appoint temporary petty officers at each drill until permanent organization plans are completed. This is the first time in the four year history of the unit that drills have been carried on extensively.

"One of the purposes of the Naval R. O. T. C. is to train officers, that is, leaders of men," declared Captain B. B. Wygant, U. S. N., professor of Naval Science and Tactics, in stating the value and aims of military drill yesterday. "No man can lead or command others effectively until he can command himself.

"Group drill, like team athletics, teaches self control or command over oneself while a member of the group When acting as a leader one develops in addition self confidence, initiative, and a sense of responsibility. Moreover such drill improves posture, teaches alertness, and inoculates respect for authority."