WINTER WOES OF WIDENER

Another evidence of the University's upright attitude is her attempt to enforce literally a "four square" policy upon the denizens of Widener by making them execute right angle turns in their perambulations to the library. Not only does the management of the snow-shovelers brigade wait until the snow on Widener's steps has packed into ice, but it insists on clearing only the central wooden approach.

With the exception of four or five Harvard students, half the professors, and all the Radcliffe girls who use the board steps, the rank and file of the College reel precipitantly down the ice-covered, unboarded steps diagonally from the front door to the outer periphery. For the first week one stands an even chance of getting to the bottom without amusing the smokers lounging about the pillars by an elaborate balancing act in attempting to maintain his equilibrium. At the end of this period, the going becomes increasingly difficult, so much so that only the most intrepid can traverse the smoothly beveled ice. Finally the thaw comes; the uninitiated again splash joyously over their acoustomed route, hoping that before their Harvard days are over they shall have mastered the art of climbing "on the diagonal."