Harvard Favored to Win in H-D-C Meet

Records Will be Threatened in Keen Competition at the Garden

With local sports writers picking the University track team to win the annual Harvard-Dartmouth-Cornell. Triangular meet in the Boston Garden next Monday evening by at least a ten point margin, and with Harry Hillman, Dartmouth mentor conceding a four point win to the Crimson runners as a result of their showing at the B. A. A. games last Saturday, comes the report from Coach Jack Moakley of Cornell that "his team is on a par with the wearers of the Green and Crimson, and will give a good account of itself next Monday."

On top of the confident statement of Coach Moakley, however, comes the report that Captain Treman pulled a tendon last month, and is still slightly handicapped by the weakened limb. What effect this will have on his running Monday remains to be seen, but it is not unlikely that the star dash man will be near top form when the time for the meet arrives.

That the Ithacans roster contains a number of stellar names is undeniable for one finds men like Captain Treman, who won a third in the 600 last year, Levering who fought off Captain Reid of the Harvard team last winter to win a victory in the two mile, and Clark, star hurdler who ran close to Ben Hedges, Olympic man in the Princeton-Cornell meet last spring. It is not, however, the known performers that make Cornell a threat, but rather the unknown material in nearly every event. A hasty glance at the entry list shows that sophomores are conspicuous by their presence.

Sophomores on Cornell Team

In the dash, for example, the outstanding representatives from the New York college are Yocom and Persbacker, who won first and second respectively in the Freshman event last year at the Triangle meet in Boston. The times of these men was close to those of the big race. How much one can presuppose by this is one of those things that makes doping a meet such a haphazard matter.

Dartmouth, on the other hand, is a pretty much known quantity, since Harry Hillman has allowed his time trial results for all meets to be published. These show that certain men such as Donner, a broad jumper who took a third last year and is expected to break the existing meet record of 23 feet, 1 inch, and Alcorn, in the hurdles, are certain choices for taking their events. Moody, a former star high jumper has returned to Dartmouth this season after being out of college for several years, and his efforts to return to his old time form will be watched closely. Hillman claims that it is not in firsts that the wearers of the Green will be outstanding, but rather in garhering the second and third positions, which are so all-important in a triangular meet.

Farrell Expects Crimson Win

Although noted for his optimistic outlook on meets, Coach E. L. Farrell of the University squad broke all precedents yesterday when he declared to the press that the better all around balance of his squad, together with certain outstanding individual performances would result in a Crimson victory by a margin of better than 15 points, and bring to the University team its sixth consecutive Triangular Meet win.

What are Farrell's Dark Horsee?

To allow him to make such a confident statement on the outcome of the meet, it seems certain that Coach Farrell must have a few trump cards up his sleeve which he intends to spring on his opponents next Monday evening. Just what these may be is not known, but a guess that the hurdles, distance runs and 300-yd. dash might contain a few Crimson dark horses is probably not too far removed from the situation to be pertinent.

Many Records Will Fall

That records are almost certain to fall is demonstrated by the performances of outstanding individuals in at least five events. The broad jump has already been mentioned. Oscar Sutermeister '32, who tied with Sturdy, I C. 4A champion last week at 13 feet, 4 inches in the pole vault, has been doing 13 feet consistently all season, and should top the Triangular Meet record of 12 feet, 7 3-4 inches which is held jointly by Burbank of Harvard and Smith of Dartmouth.

In the running events, the record of 1 min. 15 3-5 seconds set by Captain Swope of Dartmouth in the 600 last winter is in a perilous position, with Pratt and Langley of Dartmouth, Treman of Cornell, who ran a close second to Swope, W. C. Rowe '31, F. E. Cummings '30, and E. E. Record '32 all consistently bordering on the 1.16 mark.

300 Will Be Fast

One of the best events of the evening will be the 300-yd. dash. Although this is to be run in three heats, with the best winning times considered in the award of points, it is almost certain to produce at least one heat which will equal the Triangular Meet record of 33 4-5 seconds. T. F. Mason '30, captain of the University squad this season, who tied with Tupper last year to establish the meet record, is picked to win the event again this season, and should stand a good chance of shading his own mark. Meinig and Rosenthal are two Cornell men who are good at this distance.

Distance Runs May Surprise

That the mile record of 4 min. 26 4-5 sec. set by Captain Reid of Harvard in 1928 is likely to fall seems to be only a matter of how Coach Farrell will run his men. Should N. P. Hallowell '32 run in this one event he is capable of shading this mark, having a 4.25 mile to his credit in the K. of C. meet. Last year David Cobb '31 won this event, and conserved his energy sufficiently to take a first in the 1,000-yard as well. There is a possibility therefore that Coach Farrell will run Hallowell in the 1,000, or two-mile, depending upon how the tide of victory is swinging. Levering, star Cornell two-miler might likewise enter this event and attempt the iron-man act. Hendricks, another Ithacan entry is capable of doing a 4.28 mile, and is likely to be a threat. Dartmouth entries in this run seem a bit weak, if preliminary times prove anything, and Huckins who has clocked the distance in 4.31 appears the only threat. Coach Farrell has entered his entire squad, of distance men, and it is difficult to forecast just who will wear the Crimson colors Monday night. Cobb and G. N. Barrie '32 seem most logical entries at present, but it is in the three distance runs that Crimson horses are often uncovered.

Cornell Excells in Weight Events

As has been the case for the past three years, the Cornell entries in the weight events have been of unusually high cali- bre. This year Weisa in the weight throw, and Levy in the shot are no exceptions, and are slated to take first in their respective events, Captain Crossier of Dartmouth should take second in the weight throw, with P. N. Vonckx '31 a possible Crimson point winner. Bromberg of Dartmouth ought to provide keen competition for Levy in the shot, since both have bettered 45 feet, and their best performances are less than a foot apart. Both of these events will be contested in the Briggs Cage on Soldiers Field, Monday afternoon.

Relay Quartet Fast

One of the most exciting races on the program will be the relay between the three teams, with the Crimson quartet favored to win with Dartmouth a close second. This event will doubtless be another record breaker, since the Crimson team of Hennessey, Munroe, Record and Cummings defeated the Yale quartet last Saturday at the B. A. A. games in faster time than the Triangular Meet record, which was established last winter by a team made up of three of the above-named men. Tupper was the sole man lost by graduation, and his place has been taken by Record, whose work against Engle, Yale's star quarter, in their lap of the relay last Saturday gave promise of some unusually fast times likely to be turned in before he finishes his college career.

50-yd. Dash

In this event, it is, as always, difficult to pick the winners, because of the element of chance which inevitably enters into a race so short. A. L. Watkins '31, who won the event last year has been recently recovering from an injured leg, and is therefore an unknown quantity as far as this meet is concerned. F. V. Nissen '30 who got a third last week at the B. A. A. games, and J. B. Hawes '32 are both fast men as well as Captain Mason. Dartmouth will have Stevens, who took second last year, and Cornell's hopes are pinned upon Yocum and Persbacker, its sophomore stars.

45-yd Hurdles

Alcorn of Dartmouth won this last season, and should repeat, with F. J. Mardulier '30 a close second. Coach Hillman of Dartmouth, however, has strong hopes that his sophomore star, Sawyer, whom he considers another Monty Wells in the making, is a likely winner of second place. Clark of Cornell, however, should be at least a one point winner for the Ithacans. This man had the misfortune to fall in his heat last winter, and so has been overlooked by many in comparing the respective teams. Another dark horse who may enter this event is E. E. Record '32, who is one of the best outdoor hurdlers in the University.

Broad Jump

Donner of Dartmouth is the outstanding man in this event, although beaten last year by W. O. Rowe '31. The Greenman, however, has developed considerably since last season, and has been jumping consistently over 23 feet. Canby won the jump last year with a leap of 22 ft. 6 in. Woodruff, Cornell star in this event is on probation, and the next best man for the Ithacans is Williams, who has never done much better than 22 feet.

Pole Vault

This should be one of the most closely contested of the field events, with the winner almost certain to be forced into a record breaking height. Oscar Sutermeister '32, because of his work last Saturday at the B. A. A. meet, is slightly favored over Colyer of Cornell. Last year there was a triple tie for first between Colyer, C. E. Dunlap '30, and Cleaver of Harvard. Dartmouth has entered Noyes, who has cleared 13 feet, and another tie is likely to ensue again this year for at least one of the positions.

High Jump

This event will contain one of the best groups of jumpers seen in Boston for some time, with four men doing better than six feet regularly. Wickham, who weighs over 200 and Hoppenstedt tied for second last year, and are likely point winners again this season. Dartmouth, without its champion Maynard, who graduated last June, has Moody, a former stellar jumper who is capable of bettering the six foot mark. G. W. Kuehn '32 who does six feet consistently, and G. W. Brown '30 are the leading Crimson entries, and should both be able to enter into the scoring columns.

300-yd. Dash

Captain Mason and Hennessey are the University's best entries in this race, and with Pratt and Alcorn of Dartmouth are both potential point winners. Last year the last three named were in a triple tie for third place, but the times of 33 3-5 seconds turned in by the Dartmouth men in their final tryouts held at Hanover last Wednesday, seem to indicate that the Indians should be a slight favorite over the second Crimson man. Rosenthal and Meinig, as well as the two dash men. Yocum and Persbacker will be the Cornell entries. Little is known of the ability of the last two named at this distance. As in the hurdles, if Coach Farrell decides to run Record in this event, one of the biggest upsets of the meet might occur, since the sorrel-topped Sophomore is fast developing into a speedy middle-distance man.

600-yd. Run

Cummings, Munroe and J. H. Pearson '32 are the Crimson entries in this race. Captain Tremain of Cornell who took second last year is complaining of an injured tendon, and may not be at his best Monday, and Dulaff may have to carry on for the Ithacans. Dartmouth will miss its Captain Swope who established the record of 1.15 3-5, but it has Pratt, his teammate who is a considerable threat at this distance. Four of the entries do better than 1.16 for this run.

Two-Mile Run

This may be one of the upsets of the meet with Levering of Cornell, conquerer of Reid last year, considered a likely winner. Cobb, J. W. Fobes '32, and possibly Hallowell will wear the Crimson colors, and should register at least two places. Butterworth, is the leading Dartmouth man in the event.

1000-yd Run

Coach Farrell may repeat his trick play of last year of doubling up his distance men in this event. For this reason, it is impossible to give any indication of point winners, but Hallowell, Cobb, Fobes, and Estes, are the leading Crimson runners. Estes performance at the B. A. A. games makes him a logical point winner, while Hendricks of Cornell and Andrews and Langley of Dartmouth are all fast men.

Mile Run

This event like the other two distance runs is almost an unknown quantity. Levering of Cornell might run this, and if so, will provide fast competition for Hallowell and Cobb, the two most logical Crimson starters. Dartmouth is admittedly weak in this, and the leading Cornell entries are all slower than 4.28, the best time registered by three of the outstanding Crimson distance runners.

Shot Put

Levy of Cornell is the best man in this event judging by preliminary trials, with Bromberg of Dartmouth probably a second place winner. J. W. Potter '30 should bring in at least one point in this event.

35 lb. weight Throw

Weiss of Cornell is easily the outstanding man in the weight throw, but Captain Crossier of Dartmouth is likely to provide him with some keen competition. Vonekx is likely to bring the Crimson a point in this event. Wickham of Cornell may, however, be able to work the Harvard man out of a place.BROAD JUMPER FACES SEVERE COMPETITION NEXT MONDAY W. C. ROWE '31