MONDAY IS FINAL DAY OF REGISTRATION FOR WADE, BOYLSTON PRIZE

PUBLIC FINALS WILL BE HELD ON WEDNESDAY, APRIL 2

Registration for all men intending to compete for the University's third oldest award, the Boylston and Lee Wade Public Speaking Prizes, will close on Monday afternoon at 5 o'clock in Holden Chapel. All Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores in good standing are eligible. The only requirement is that memorized selections, about five minutes in length, from some standard piece of literature, must be approved by Professor F. C. Packard Jr. '20.

On March 5 there will be a preliminary meeting in Sanders Theatre at 3 o'clock. From these trials are to be chosen the ten best speakers who will appear in the finals of the competition before the judges and the public on April 3.

The winner of the contest receives $50, which is the Lee Wade prize proper. It was established in 1915 by Dr. Francis Henry Wade, in memory of his son whose name the prize bears, and who had participated while in college in the Boylston contest. This latter is one of the oldest in the University. The speeches next April will mark the one hundred and eleventh consecutive year of its existence. The Boylston prizes, one of $50 and two of $30 each, which constitute the second, third, and fourth awards of the present combined competition were founded in 1817 by Ward Nicholas Boylston '35 in honor of his uncle who established the Boylston Professorship of Rhetoric and Oratory. It is the holder of this chair who has charge of the contest.

Selections may be in English, Latin, or Greek; but no selection in any language except English has received a prize since George Santayana '86, speaking in Latin, won it in his Junior year.