YALE'S OPPOSITION

In the--accompanying editorial the Boston Herald has attributed opposition to Yale's quadrangle plan to the student aristocracy composed of leaders "in athletics and other extra-curricular activities." Quite probably those whom the Herald nominates have thrown their full weight against the plan. But it should be remembered that not only those who are inspired by personal advantage but also a far larger number from the rank and, file oppose the plan. These latter have no college fame to preserve by clinging to the old order, nor are they necessarily selfish in their disapproval of the quadrangle plan. The accusation that only insincerity and selfishness on the part of a few have prompted criticism of the quadrangle plan would seem as groundless in the case of Yale as it would have been last year in that of Harvard.

It is further suggested that the quadrangle plan, since it looks like an imitation of a Harvard idea", might be repulsive to true-blue sons of Eli. To deduce, as the Herald has, that everything at Harvard is held in utter contempt at New Haven, is to disregard fact. Too many people believe that the spirit of the football field carries over to all relations between the two schools.

The conjecture, that Yale dislikes her quadrangle system because it smacks of Harvard's plan, is as illogical as the attributing of the objections raised last year by Cambridge undergraduates against the inception of the House Plan to the fact that Harvard had been anticipated several years earlier by Princeton in an unsuccessful attempt to establish a quadrangle system. Both Harvard and Yale may be tradition-bound, but neither is so blindly stupid as to discard a practicable idea because the other has first tasted of it.