GRADUATE SCHOOLS

Instructor in Medical School to Speak on "Mouth Health"

The evolution of plant life is the subject of an extensive program of motion picture production to be undertaken in the tropics by Professor Oakes Ames '98 supervisor of the botanical interests of Harvard University, and W. O. Field Jr. '26 who are sailing from New York today on the S. S. Vivives for Cuba.

Mr. Field, who will make the films under the direction of Professor Ames, is an associate producer for the University Film Foundation. He is an experienced producer of educational motion pictures of this nature, having made films on several expeditions to Alaska, northern Africa and other parts of the world.

Commence Work in Cuba

They will start work in Cuba where the greatest number and variety of tropical plants from all over the world may be seen growing together in profusion. Microscopic films showing plant tissues, and films taken in other parts of America will also be made to round out the present production making it as complete as possible. Films will be taken wherever material may be found to illustrate the thesis.

Films to Cover Much Material

The scope of the films is to cover as nearly as possible the complete range of plant evolution from fundamental to highly developed forms. Plants that are adapted to special as well as normal environment, will be photographed. For instance, the botanical cast will include such participants as the palm with the biggest leaf in the world, and the sensitive tree which throws off a fluid when prodded. One of the main purposes underlying the scenarios is to demonstrate how plants are made to serve economic uses.

Through the agency of the University Film Foundation, the completed films will be made available to schools, colleges, museums, social and educational groups all over the country.