LET THEM GO HANG

Generations of Harvard men have wiped the dust from the platform of the New Lecture Hall and from the window recesses of Harvard 6 with their head gear. The venerable Stetson has sheltered many a worried head from the wintry blast along the Charles and has served in summer time as the proverbial boat-bailer. Stretched to twice its circumference or crunched into a pocket, it has come out smiling--resuming its shapeless shape with a tacit invitation for more mistreatment. In short, the "Harvard hat" has become renowned almost as much for its versatility as for its nonchalant appearance.

Undergraduate squash players are now on the path towards the creation of the "Harvard topcoat" following the model of the "Harvard hat." While one carelessly throws down his hat in the dirt with the air of one authorized by tradition, he hesitates to deposit his overcoat with equal complacence upon the well-oiled floors of the University squash courts. Indeed, a hat in the last stages of dilapidation can be explained away as due to "indifference", but it is difficult with equal propriety to dismiss a soiled and much trampled-over topcoat as caused by a similar disregard for convention. It might well help to solve the mystery of what becomes of the ten cent charges by applying them to a a few obvious improvements such as the installation of coat hangers.