"Room for Improvement?"

At various times during the course of last spring, the Princetonian had occasion to express itself as heartily in favor of the Quad Plan. While not attempting to copy the system exactly as found in Oxford and Cambridge, we have felt that much good might be derived from such an adaptation as might seem applicable to the peculiar conditions in American colleges. We admitted that the Quad Plan, at the present time, stood in our eyes rather as a symbol of social progress than as a ready working system which could be applied tomorrow and could be trusted to uproot all the social ills that afflict this university, or any other. We did not attempt to deceive ourselves; we were theorists. But at the same time we were convinced that these theories were by no means empty.

In the midst of our discussion there came the encouraging news that Harvard, through the gift of Edward S. Harkness, will definitely give this plan a trial. And then we have recently learned that through the generosity of this same gentleman, Yale also intends to follow suit. Believing that the action of two such universities brought this plan, beyond any question not only into the realms of practicability, but also would set on foot a movement that would spread throughout this nation, we felt, unwisely, that we might lay down the pen and await certain developments.

Yet when, true to Princeton's ancient conservative tradition, we have heard it rumored that the conditions at these universities are radically different from ours universities which are American like ours and drawn from our own countrymen it is time that we come to the rescue. Even if we have fewer men in Princeton, even if the situation may be better for the majority, than in other institutions, is that a logical reason for an inertia on our part, when there is a chance of improvement."

And as for the argument that we must wait until some generous person kindly donates us the wherewithal, before we say anything about the subject, we feel that is ridiculous. We can never interest such a person, if he exists, in our improvement, unless we convince him that there is room for such improvement. And that is not accomplished by keeping silent. The Princeonian.