Film Foundation Plans Supplying Schools and Colleges With Biological Studies Explained by Vitaphone Lectures

With an entirely new set of equipment, the University Film Foundation is now producing biological film studies which they hope to supply to schools and colleges all over the United States.

This phase of the Foundation's productions is being handled by J. R. Brewster '25, who does the filming of the pictures, and Dr. R. H. Woodworth, of the Biology Department, who handles the biological subjects. They have been working on short films for the past six months.

The equipment which the Film Foundation has purchased consists of a powerful are light, a special microscope, and an ordinary motion picture camera. The subject is placed under the microscope and the are light is focused through it. The light first has to pass through water, however, in order to prevent the heat from destroying the microscopic subjects of the filming. The microscope is equipped with a prism that divides the light sending ninety per cent of it to the camera and the remaining ten per cent to the eye of the photographer, who is by this contrivance enabled to watch the actions of the thing that he is filming. This prismatic arrangement is the reason for the strides being made in the filming of microscopic subjects.

Sound equipment has also been purchased for the making of these pictures and it is hoped that in the future lectures will be made to accompany the showing of each film.