YALE'S QUESTION

In the Tuesday issue of the Yale News appeared a questionnaire on the subject of drinking, reprinted elsewhere in the columns of the CRIMSON. This investigation is not only a step in the right direction but an extremely well chosen one. Prohibition has long ceased to be a dead issue and further pretense is mere prejudice. The failure is acknowledged and has too often been repeated.

The News has considered well in thus striking at fundamentals rather than debating the point on ethical or idealistic grounds. Even granting the evils of the open saloon, or of alcohol under any disguise, the question still remains, what is feasible--not what ought to be. If it be found that tomorrow's citizens will drink as well as those of today, it is futile to continue under the present veil of public abstinence and private indulgence. There is no doubt but what a widespread consumption of liquor is an economic and social problem, and is in fact well recognized as such, but if the country is not prepared for such a plunge as the Volstead Act represents, a more moderate approach is to be sought.

The value of the Yale questionnaire, if it arouses sufficient interest to justify itself, lies in bringing to light the practise as well as the preaching of the college student.