DANTE PRIZE CONTEST SUBJECTS ANNOUNCED

Choice of Topics Given out by Weston, Committee Chairman--Essays Must be in April 1

G. B. Weston '97, Professor of Romance Languages, who is conducting the annual Dante Prize contest this year, has announced the subjects which have been proposed as topics for the essays to be submitted in this competition. A prize of $200 is offered for the best essay by a student of Harvard University, or by any graduate of not more than three years standing, for the best essay written on a subject drawn from the life or the work of Dance Students and graduates of similar standing of any college or university in the United States are also eligible to enter.

For this year the following subjects are proposed:

1. A Study of the vocabulary of Dante's lyrics. 2. The classification of Dante's miscellaneous lyrics. 3. The influence of Boethius on the Vita Nuova and the Convivio. 4. A discussion of the authorship of H. Flore. 5. A study of Dante's influence upon Eng- lish literature. 6. The relation of Dante's theological doctrines to the present teachings of the Church of Rome. 7. The main reasons for the increase of interest in the Divina Commedia during the past fifty years. 8. The relation of modern scientific discovery to Dante's conception of the divine order of the universe. 9. Dante and Cecco d'Ascoli. 10. A study of the decline of Dante's influence in Italy in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. 11. Modern traits in Dante. 12. Dante in the anecdotic literature of the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries. 13. The influence of Guido Cavalcanti on Dante. 14. A criticism of Torraca's edition of the Divina Comedia. Other subjects that those above listed may be submitted for approval to Professor Weston