HARVARD RAISES REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATE STUDY

High Grades Will be Basis of Admission Under New Rule--Overcrowding to be Eliminated

A higher standard of scholarship will be necessary for admission to the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences beginning in September, 1930, it was announced at University Hall yesterday. The reason for the change lies primarily in the rapid increase of enrollment in the Graduate School in recent years.

The new statement of requirements which has been approved by the governing boards of the University reads as follows:

"Admission to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is granted to graduates of colleges and scientific schools of good standing who present satisfactory evidence of ability to pursue graduate work with profit. Such evidence may be graduation with distinction or in the upper third of the class, election to Phi Beta Kappa, or records that show distinguished work in a special field, either as undergraduates or as graduate students in other institutions. Applicants must also present satisfactory evidence of good character."

Increased registration of fifty percent in seven years has thrown a heavy burden upon many members of the faculty, especially those who direct research. The administrative board is convinced that any restriction on admission must aim to improve the quality of the men admitted rather than attempt to fix a definite number of members of the school.

The new regulation means that the Faculty of Arts and Sciences ranges itself with the faculties of the Medical School, the Law School, and the Business School in holding that the energies of its members are to be devoted to training a selected group of men who have already demonstrated their ability to profit by graduate study.