BACHELORS OF ARTS

The study of Latin or Greek as a requisite for the A. B. degree at Harvard is a conservative requirement for this degree that still holds sway at many Eastern colleges. Yale and Princeton, for example, are even more hidebound in demanding the full number of units in one of these languages at school; both demand further one year of college work in the Classics, but this last has at least the grace of making the student's eventual degree to some extent dependent on his college studies.

Dartmouth in the East, however, and such universities as Illinois, Michigan, and Leland Stanford in the West, have abolished the requirement of Ancient Languages for the A. B. degree, and have put the Classics on the same plane as the more practical, if traditionally less honored, modern languages. Harvard would certainly be in good company in changing its present requirements; and Harvard is in a position where such a change is perhaps even more logical than in the other universities. The system of Concentration and Distribution has so effectively separated Harvard undergraduates into students of Liberal Arts and students of the Sciences, that the University needs to take only a little step to make its Bachelor's degrees completely harmonize with its otherwise modern educational structure.