CRIMSON DEBATERS GAIN VICTORY OVER YALE TRIO

BOTH TEAMS WILL DEBATE AGAIN ON PROHIBITION QUESTION

In a closely contested, climactic match of its season in Paine Hall on Saturday night, the Harvard debating team gained a victory over its Yale opponents when the audience sustained its arguments by voting in the ratio of four to three. The judges, Captain R. S. Edwards of the Canadian Army, retired, and G. W. Riley of Cambridge, a former William and Mary debater, were evenly divided and referred the decision to a show of hands by the audience. J. M. Swigert '30 presided.

The subject for discussion: "Resolved, That the United States Senate should ratify the Pan-American arbitration treaty without reservations," was selected by the Eastern Intercollegiate Debating League. In maintaining the affirmative the Harvard speakers showed great versatility in meeting objections raised by their opponents, while the Eli team tended more toward the Southern or "oratorical" style.

The Crimson debaters D. I. Cooke '31, R. B. Eckles '32, and H. G. Abdian '30 claimed that the multilateral arbitration treaty, as the first part of the United States program to deal with Latin countries on a basis of good will, was a small step towards the goal of peace. They held that it provided an opportunity to do good, and that the provisions in article two leave the United States unhampered in the execution of the Monroe doctrine.

The Yale team has agreed to stage a dual debate in Cambridge and in New Haven, with the Debating Council's prohibition plan as a subject of discussion. "The plan," Hoon remarked, "has aroused more than mild discussion in New Haven, and the Daily News assures us it will be solidly behind the dual debate."