Throng of 500 Present at Mass Meeting on Prohibition in Union

Presents Dry Case and Lincoln Speaks for Wets--Debaters Discuss Plan

When a show of hands was called for at the close of a mass meeting on Prohibition in the Union last night, ten of the five hundred students who filled the Large Living Room raised their hands to signify that they were in favor of retaining the 18th Amendment in its present form. A majority favored complete repeal of the amendment and all subsequent Prohibition legislation, while a fair proportion signified approval of a program of constructive nullification in favor of states rights, sponsored by the Harvard Debating Council.

The meeting, held as part of a program to bring forward Prohibition as a vital issue among college men, opened when G. W. Harrington '30, and Paul Reardon '32, of the Harvard Debating Council, outlined their plan and indicated what they felt were its advantages. Alexander Lincoln '95, former Assistant Attorney General of the State of Massachusetts and at present general counsel of the Constitutional Liberties League, then put forward an extreme wet point of view, advocating complete repeal of the 18th Amendment and restitution of the whole matter to the state governments.

T. N. Carver, professor of political economy and a noted dry, replied to the criticism of the 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act, by advancing the view that their benefits greatly out-weighed their admitted faults.

After E. M. Rowe '27 had spoken in rebuttal for the Debating Council's plan, the presiding chairman, R. T. Bushnell. District Attorney of Middlesex County, put the question into discussion from the floor. For over an hour, undergraduates continued to ask questions, propound theories, offer statistics, in an attempt to settle the problem that is baffling the wisest politicians, sociologists, and political theorists of the day.