LEWIS, DRY LEADER PRAISES CRIMSON'S PROHIBITION STAND

Shows Comprehensive Study but Will Not Work--Repeal of Volstead Act Would Not Stop Bootlegging

"If the CRIMSON can put over its campaign to crystallize the collegiate sentiment in regard to prohibtion, we may find out for the first time just where the college students of the United States do stand on the liquor question," declared J. S. Lewis, Prohibtion Administrator of New England, in a recent discussion.

We hear entirely too much about the sentiment of the youth of this country without any actual statistics. The Wets claim that nine-tenths of the college students drink and the Drys reply with the supposed fact that six-tenths of them are bone-dry. Let us find out, once and for all, just how these young people feel. Let us find out what side of the fence they are on so that there will no longer be such paradoxical assertions. I personally, refuse to believe without sufficient data that the college students of this generation are drinkers.

"As for the plan of the Harvard Debating Council", continued Lewis, "I think that it is a comprehensive plan, but not one that would work. It evidently calls for the repeal of the Volstead Act and I am very much opposed to any such move. Despite all argument to the contrary,. I do not believe that the act is a failure. Its repeal would probably mean the traffic of light wines and beer, but this would not stop bootlegging. To prove this, allow me to point out the fact that in the short time granted to liquor houses to sell intoxicating liquors after the passage of the Volstead Act, eighty per cent of the liquor sold was of the stronger varieties. This fact speaks for itself."