Thirty-Nine Milton Aids Given Professors for Work in 1930-31

University Professors Receive Grants to Enable Them to Conduct Researches in Their Special Fields Which Cover Wide Range of Study

Thirty-nine awards, totalling more than $47,000, were made yesterday to professors in Harvard University to enable them to carry on research during 1930-31 under the provisions of the Milton Fund, according to an announcement at University Hall last night.

The grants from the Milton Fund for next year have been awarded to the following men for the objects specified:

I. W. Bailey '07, Professor of Plant Anatomy, to enable him to continue his work on the cytology of living tissue cells.

J. H. Beale, Royall Professor of Law, to complete for publication his Treatise on the Conflict of Laws.

Raoul Blanchard, Professor of Geography, to continue during 1930 the geographical exploration field work in Eastern Canada.

P. E. Boyle, Instructor in Operative Dentistry to study the microscopic anatomy of the normal human and normal canine dental pulp.

P. W. Bridgman '04, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, to continue his investigation of the properties of matter under high pressure and of single crystals.

C. T. Brues, Associate Professor of Economic Entomology, to continue his studies of the fauna of hot springs and the adaptation of thermophilous animals.

L. R. Cleveland, Assistant Professor of Protozoology, to continue an investigation of the relation of amoebae in vivo and in vitro to bacteria.

L. W. Collet, Professor of Geology, for the preparation of illustrations on the structure of the Canadian Rockies for the publication of a report on the Harvard Geological Expedition in 1929.

F. H. Crawford, Instructor in Physics, and Theodore Lyman, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy Emeritus, to endeavor to construct an amplifier for small direct currents.

S. H. Cross '12, Instructor in German, to study the history of Russia to the fall of Kiev in 1240.

C. L. Dawes, Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering, to continue his study of the electrical characteristics of ionized gas films.

E. M. East, Professor of Genetics, to continue his genetic studies on the genus Nicotiana.

Robert Emerson '25, Instructor in Physiology, to study the efficiency of photosynthesis by investigating the efficiency of unicellular green plans in synthesizing carbohydrates.

E. W. Forbes '95, Lecturer on Fine Arts and Director of the Fogg Art Museum, for research in the best methods of painting durable pictures and the best methods of preserving existing works of art.

C. J. Friedrich, Assistant Professor of Government, for his preparation for publication of a new Latin edition of Johannes Althusius and a translation of selections into English, etc.

C. H. Haskins, Henry Charles Lea Professor of Medieval History, to continue his studies in mediaeval culture, particularly mediaeval collections of letters.

W. H. P. Hatch '98, Professor of the Literature and Interpretation of the New Testament. Episcopal Theological School, to obtain photographs of the minatures in the manuscript Codex Hierosol 14 in the Greek Patriarchal Library in Jerusalem.

E. P. Herring, Instructor in Government, to complete a study concerning the relations between organized groups of voters and the Federal administration departments.

Leigh Hoadley, Associate Professor of Zoology, for his study of the early ontogenetic phenomena associated with embryonic segregation, extending the previous study to invertebrates.

E. A. Hooton, Associate Professor of Anthropology, to prepare a statistical elaboration of data obtained last summer on the results of race mixtures in southern Greenland.

Grinnell Jones, Associate Professor of Chemistry, to continue his investigation of the properties of-solutions, with particular reference to their conductance.

Kirsopp Lake, Winn Professor of Ecclesiastical History, and Robert P. Blake, Associate Professor of History and Director of the University Library, for the purchase and operation of apparatus for the photography of manuscripts.

D. G. Lyon, Hancock Professor of Bebrew and other Oriental Languages, Emeritus, for copying, classifying, cataloging and studying the cuneiform inscriptions on clay tablets found at Nuzi.

J. B. Martin, Instructor in English, for the study of the history of the Scottish theatre from 1660 to 1767, in regard to the struggle for theatrical entertainments from the restoration to the licensing of a, theatre in Edinburgh.

A. G. McAdie '84, Abbott Lawrence Rotch Professor of Meteorology and Director of the Blue Hill Observatory, to study ice-storms and subcooled water vapor in an effort to determine conditions favoring the formation of ice coatings on airplanes and airships.

C. R. D. Miller '23, Instructor in Romance Languages, to collect and prepare for publication eighteenth century documents relating to America now in Italian State archives, and to obtain material in Turin, Milan and Paris for a study of the Piedmontese poet and politician, Carlo Bossi.

Fulmer Mood '21, Instructor in History and Literature, for his investigation of the early history of Anglo-American literature from 1527 to 1640.

S. E. Morison '08, Professor of History, for expenses in connection with his preparation of the next volume of the tercentennial history of Harvard University.

J. R. Moseley, Instructor in Geology, to make a detailed study of the geology of the Merrimac Valley.

B. A. Murray, Jr. '15, Assistant Professor of Abnormal and Dynamic Psychology, to determine the relation of cognitive processes in verbalized reverie to efferent nervous discharges.

A. E. Navez, Lecturer on General Physiology, to aid in a study of the growth of normal roots and of geotropically excited roots in his investigation of geotropism and growth in plants.

R. G. Noyes, Instructor in English, to catalog the songs in Restoration Drama from contemporary music books from 1660 to 1710, and to collect for publication the music of the more attractive songs.

N. E. Odell, Lecturer on Geology, to complete his investigation into static metamorphism by studying the Shuswap terrain of British Columbia.

W. F. Osgood '86, Perkins Professor of Mathematics, to defray expenses to connection with the final preparation for publication of his Funktionentheorie, Vol. II, Part II.

Other awards were made to: W. H. Pickering, Assistant Professor of Astronomy Emeritus, H. H. Plaskett, Associate Professor of Astrophysics, J. H. Ropes '89, Hollis Professor of Divinity, Morgan Upton, Instructor in Physiology and in Psychology, and J. H. Woods '87, Professor of Philosophy.