NETMEN DEFEAT THREE COLLEGES DURING TRIP

CRIMSON TENNIS TEAM WINS OVER NAVY 8-1

The University tennis team completed an unusually successful spring trip to the South by defeating the Navy, which recently barely won from Yale, by the decisive count of 8-to 1. At the same time, three Harvard golfers placed high in the North and South amateur Championship, held at Pinehurst. N. C., Phillips Finlay '31, captain of the Crimson players, being defeated in the second round only by George Voigt, who played every hole in par or better.

The tennis team opened its five-day stay at Norfolk, Virginia by easily out-pointing William and Mary, 9 to 0. In this match, the Crimson players only lost two sets. In the only other match against a college team at Norfolk, Harvard beat the University of Virginia, 7 to 2, taking five out of the six singles matches, and losing but one of the doubles. The feature encounter was that in which M. T. Hill '31, playing first man, defeated C. A. Smith, of Virginia, 6-3, 7-5.

Saturday afternoon at Annapolis the Crimson team showed its strongest team thus far, defeating the Navy, 8 to 1. Harvard won all of the doubles matches, and five out of six of the singles.

Finlay scored highest of the Crimson golfers-in the qualifying rounds, making 158 for 36 holes. W. P. Arnold, Jr. '31 qualified in the second division, and in the individual matches, defeated Warren Cockran of Baltimore, J. W. Bowman of Brockton, and W. J. Woodward of Southern Pines, N. C. J. B. Baldwin '31 reached the third division, and, after winning from G. S. Ahearn of Quebec and H. S. Bond, of Baltimore, was eliminated by J. p. Hotchkiss of New Haven.