Aye

THE PRESS

The Harvard CRIMSON's poll of student sentiment on the Prohibition question in 14 leading universities, the Literary Digest's national poll now in full swing, and the recent 82-61 vote of the New York Assembly supporting the Cuvillier bill petitioning Congress to call a Constitutional convention to repeal the unlovely Amendment have served, for the first time, to bring together under the same tent definite and compact opinion on the liquor question from three distinct elements in the Republic.

Much of the nonsense that has been bruited about concerning student, legislative, and general theories as to the solution of the country's most amusing puzzle has been forced to fall before the ax of specific statistics, the result of the two polls, and vote at Albany.

The CRIMSON's poll reveals the interesting fact that 15,000 of the 24,000 students approached drink. And what does this mean? It means, simply, that these 15,000 are not abiding by a law that is offensive to their personal tastes. These figures represent 64 per cent of the total vote cast. An even larger number voted for modification or complete repeal. And the votes came from colleges that are vastly different in size and type.

The Literary Digest's poll, for this week, records 43 states out of 44 in the wet column, with over two million votes cast. Twenty-three of these states are for complete repeal, and twenty for modification.

The vote at Albany may be dismissed by many as too sectional to be significant. But it should not be overlooked that Republican sentiment in the Legislature is gradually swinging to the wet side, a phenomenon that had previously been considered more than improbable.

What we have, then, is indubitable manifestation from three cross-sections of the population of the Republic of decided dissatisfaction with the Amendment as it exists. . . . .

With such widespread objection to the status quo, those who directly control our statute books cannot afford to ignore the thunder on the left. Modification, a quibble at best, may or may not solve the problem. What is certain, however, is that Prohibition is distasteful to a great mass of our people and until it is altered to suit the majority it will not, as a law, be in accord with the democratic principles that theoretically bind the nation to its Constitution. Cornell Daily Sun