SALVEMINI TO ADDRESS HARVARD LIBERAL CLUB

RADCLIFFE STUDENTS INVITED TO ATTEND

Tomorrow night at 8 o'clock at the club house at 66 Winthrop Street, under the sponsorship of the Harvard Liberal Club, Professor Gaetano Salvemini, noted Italian historian, will speak on the subject, "Is Italian Fascism an Economic Success?" All members of Harvard and Radcliffe, as well as all friends of the club, are invited to attend.

Professor Salvemini, former professor of History at the University of Florence, is regarded as an authority on mediaeval and modern Italian History, especially as regards its influence on the relation between church and state, and also as regards its relation to the foreign policy of Italy since its unification. Of his publications, two are of especial note: one on the French Revolution; the other on the Triple Alliance. Recently he completed a book entitled "Fascist Dictatorship in Italy."

Salvemini a Progressive

During the war Professor Salvemini belonged to the progressive group, akin to Socialists, and after the great struggle he became involved in conflicts with the Fascists. Then followed the famous Salvemini case of 1923, when, after difficulties with the university, he was arrested, tried, and acquitted, but mobbed by the Fascists. Following this trial Salvemini went into voluntary exile, which subsequently became permanent. Losing his citizenship he became a man without a country, and since that time has acted as the unquestioned intellectual leader of the anti-Fascists. Unqualifiedly opposed to Fascism, which he considers a backward step, Professor Salvemini is now the ablest antagonist of Mussolini.

The Liberal Club, in opening the meeting to members of Radcliffe, is for a second time trying an experiment which it hopes will prove successful. The success of tomorrow night's meeting will largely determine whether or not the lectures will be open to Radcliffe in the future.