ROYAL PURPLE

News comes from Williamstown way that the Williams student body has voted to abolish the time honored custom of electing class officers in favor of representation on the student council. The move was inaugurated in order to do away with officers whose duties are so small as to make them unnecessary.

That the move is a good one and bears watching is unnecessary to say. There is in every class, from the time when it is graduated from Kindergarten and matriculated into the first grade, a certain class consciousness that makes it feel that a leader is necessary, that it must have a president. To destroy this inherent belief would be to take the vitality from the class. What would Harvard classes do without officers to draw up lists of the nominees that shall follow them? What would be more drab than a congratulatory or consolatory letter signed "Member Student Council" instead of the heart warming and personal "President" or "Secretary"? And the future Junior Class presidents have a now duty now, the annual announcement that their class will follow precedent and not have a Junior Prom. After all, the class officers are gracious adornments, symbols perhaps of an outworn tradition, but nevertheless, the front pages of the Senior Album.