CARY APPOINTED SOPHOMORE DEAN FOR COMING YEAR

Has Been Teacher of English at Storm King School and at Bowdoin--Now Student at Cambridge

William Harris Cary '21, of New Canaan, Connecticut, will return to Harvard next September to take the position of assistant dean of the College, filling the vacancy left by Assistant Dean George Grenville Benedict '23, who is to teach English at Phillips Andover next year. Cary will be the dean in charge of the Sophomores, as is Benedict at the present time.

After his graduation from Harvard, Cary became a member of the faculty of the Storm King School, Cornwall-on-Hudson, New York, in 1925. After one year at this school, he became an instructor of English at Bowdoin, where he stayed until 1928. At present Cary is at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he is completing his second year of residence.

As an undergraduate at Harvard. Cary was connected with the Freshman Red Book, the Dramatic Club, the Lampoon, and the Harvard Monthly. During the Great War, he enlisted in July, 1917, served in the 301st Field Signal Battalion, and rose from the rank of private to sergeant. His service in France lasted from July, 1918 until May, 1919.

Benedict, who graduated from the College in 1923, returned to Harvard in 1926 as a graduate student in English, and as assistant in the records office in the following year he became dean of records, a position which he held for two years.