Green After Eighth Straight Win on Soldiers Field Today

Rain Halts Yesterday's Contest in Second -- Harvard Hitting Has Picked Up

This afternoon at 3 o'clock on the Soldiers Field diamond, the Dartmouth nine will meet the University baseball team in an effort to extend its winning streak to eight in a row. Today's contest will be the second this week for the Crimson. On Wednesday, it took a badly played tilt from Bates, 14 to 9, but the Villanova game which was postponed from Thursday to yesterday had to be cancelled the second time because of rain which commenced during the first half of the second inning.

Devens to Pitch

Devens is expected to take the mound for Harvard with MacHale ready for relief duty. The Green will probably have to choose between Thompson or Hausman for the pitching assignment. Myllykangas and Holstrom, who have done most of the pitching this season are accompanying the squad on this trip but will probably be held in reserve until Monday, when the Indians meet Yale at Hanover in an Eastern League game in its last contest with the Elis. Dartmouth made only four hits to lose 4 to 3.

On the receiving end of the visitors' battery will be Captain McDonough. Since it is the practice of Eastern Intercollegiate League teams to run their own games McDonough will direct the Green strategy from the bench.

Seven Wins

The Green has shown a quick pick-up over its early season form. On its spring trip prospects looked discouraging after it dropped its first four games. Coach Tesreau changed the line-up but the revised team lost its first game to the Elis after returning home. Another change in the line-up followed and since then it has won successively over Wesleyan, Columbia, Princeton, Brown, Pennsylvania, Columbia, and Princeton. Now the team leads the Eastern League with a record of five games won and only one official defeat.

New Infield

Myllykangas, who plays center field when he does not pitch, has been rated the best all around player in collegiate baseball. When Dartmouth beat Columbia, he pitched the entire game allowing only seven hits and he accounted for four of the runs made by his team by knocking out a home run with the bases loaded.

Today Harvard's new infield will see its first action against a major opponent. In the Bates game it showed to advantage but has not had a work out since then, except for the scant inning of yesterday's attempted contest.

Harvard's hitting has picked up in recent games. Against Bates, the team hitting was well over 300 as the Crimson batters garnered 15 hits out of a total of 35 trips to the plate.