Historic Sites to be Opened to Commencement Visitors in Connection With Tercentenary--Old Map on Exhibition

One of the features of Commencement week this year will be the opening to visitors to Harvard of several places of historic interest as well as exhibitions of old views of Cambridge and early maps of this section, in connection with the Cambridge Tercentenary. In Robinson Annex will be shown a number of old pictures from Widener Library showing various scenes around Harvard Square. Among the most interesting of the exhibits will be the earliest known map of Cambridge.

The original map was drawn in 1635 and shows the present Harvard Yard to be a piece of marshy ground. The land along the north side of the Charles River was also a strip of marsh. The layout of the streets was much more symmetrical than it is now so that only a few of the principal streets can be recognized: Brattle Square was then called the Market Place, Mount Auburn Street was known as Long Street. Boylston Street was then Wood Street and Dunster Street was Water Street. The map which will be on exhibit is a copy of the original, made in 1801 and was signed with the initials J. W."

It is also planned to have various buildings of historical interest open to visitors on Saturday June 21 from 10 to 12 o'clock and 2 to 6 o'clock. Of the University Buildings either the Ricks House. Apthorp House, or Wadsworth House will be open. Other places which will be included are the Longfellow House, James Russell Lowell's house the Tudor House on Lakewood Road, the Vassall House, and a portion of Fay House at Radcliffe Tickets for these excursions will be on sale at Robinson Annex on June 19, 20, and 21.