GIFT OF $25,000 FOR LIBRARY OF DUNSTER HOUSE IS ANNOUNCED

Only Harkness Fund Exceeds Library Donation--Most of House Books Will Be Bought From It

A gift of $25,000 to the library of Dunster House from seven members of the family of the late Alexander Moss White '92 was announced yesterday by Professor C. N. Greenough '98, master of the House.

"With the exception of Mr. Harkness's gift of the House itself," Professor Greenough stated, "this is by far the largest contribution to Dunster House, and most of the books of its library will be purchased from it. The gifts of the White family to Harvard have been notable, especially the great gift of Shakespeare quartos from the library of William Augustus White '63, which his family gave to Widener Library in 1928."

White, who died last September was one of the outstanding college track men of his day, was well known in New York business circles, and was interested in educational problems. The seven members of his family who have made the gift in his memory are the late Mrs. William Augustus White, of Brooklyn, New York: Mrs. Alexander M. White, of New York: Mrs. William Emerson, of Cambridge; Mrs. Margaret W. Weld of Greenwich. Connecticut: Miss Frances E. White and Miss Harriet H. White, of Brooklyn: and Mr. Harold T. White '97 of New York.

Tutors and departmental representatives have drawn up lists of books for the library, which will number at least 5000 volumes.