JUST DESSERTS

Yesterday disciplinary action was taken against eight students for stealing books from Widener Library. One of these men was charged with having taken thirteen volumes, an outstanding example of complete selfishness and lack of consideration. Unfortunately these eight students represent but a small fraction of the great number of men who have been taking books without signing for them at the rate of over two thousand a year.

The obvious result of this higher vandalism will necessarily be increasingly stringent regulations concerning taking books from Widener. The unpleasantness is not only confined to depriving many men from reading books assigned in their courses, but the restrictions that will have to be inaugurated will add to the discomfort of all who have to use library books.

The difficulty, however, is not wholly a matter of dishonesty among those using Widener Many times it has been the custom of instructors to assign reading in large courses with only one copy of the book available. Their co-operation in providing a sufficient number of the works they demand is essential in this consideration. If they would concern themselves to see that there are enough books for their students, then the last vestige of excuse for this petty thievery would be removed.