TELEVISION

The possibilities which can be conceived in the use of television, the first theatrical test of which was carried out Thursday night in Schenectady, are almost limitless. As the railroad, the aeroplane, and now the radio have each brought with them a host of new fields of experimental investigation and practical development, so television offers still another opportunity for scientists to change and facilitate modern life.

Dr. Alexanderson a television pioneer, predicts only a few of the feasible inventions when he suggests "wars of the future when the staff officer can see the enemy through the television eye of his scouting planes, or can send a bombing plane without a man on board which can see the target and be steered by radio to its objective." The science of war will undoubtedly be remade, while ordinary conditions of living, especially in connection with entertainment, should experience great changes.

Although the acts transmitted by television suffered most of the defects of the early moving pictures, in that they were lacking the depth and detail of a film picture, and the image had an occasional tendency to rock from side to side, all shades of the photograph were present, and the sound synchronism was perfect. Perfection of this science is no thing of the distant future, as is shown by the fact that Dr. Alexanderson is soon to study practical conditions for the realization of some of his ideas at the invitation of the Navy.