PRINCETON-HARVARD

Harvard and Princeton undergraduates ask for the resumption of athletic relations between their two universities. Cordial good feeling has replaced the ill-will and misunderstanding which were among the reasons for the rupture of 1926. In Cambridge and in Princeton the students desire to acknowledge an existing entente in the tangible form of sports. Amid the confusion of newspaper rumors, they wonder what it is that keeps two friends from meeting.

That two undergraduate bodies, cordially friendly in all existing contacts, should thus stand apart on the athletic field like two spanked children, must seem, to the outside observer at least, another sign of collegiate immaturity. The reason is more fundamental that this. The estrangement is the product, not of hostile feelings between Princeton and Harvard men, but of divergent Harvard and Princeton athletic policies. Harvard desires that all her athletic relations be based on dual contracts, while Princeton has in the past stood for a triangular contract between Yale, Princeton, and Harvard. Failure to adjust these two policies has kept the universities apart.

In its attempt to bring about mutual athletic relations, the CRIMSON stands unequivocably behind existing Harvard athletic policy. The positions of Harvard and Princeton undergraduates, as expressed by their publications, present no irreconcilable differences. The CRIMSON advocates the resumption of athletic relations with Princeton on a dual basis. The position of Princeton, as expressed this morning in the editorial of the Daily Princetonian, is not fundamentally opposed to the CRIMSON's stand.

The negotiations which the CRIMSON and the Princetonian have initiated have by no means reached a deadlock. Neither pride, nor memories of former embitterments, nor technical difficulties can long stand in the way of a united undergraduate front.