FOGG BEGINS EXHIBITION IN HONOR OF PROFESSOR

SHOW IS OF ESPECIAL INTEREST TO ALUMNI

Beginning today, a memorial exhibition of watercolors and drawings by Professor Charles Herbert Moore will be held in the Fogg Art Museum. Professor Moore was one of the pioneers in the teaching of Fine Arts in Harvard University, where he came in 1871.

At the invitation of Professor Norton, in 1874, he gave a course on the Principles of Design, Painting, Sculpture and Architecture. In 1895 he was made Curator of the Fogg Museum and a year later the Director, remaining as professor of Fine Arts until his resignation in 1909. Professor Moore's wide reputation as a scholar and writer came principally from his study of Mediaeval Architecture, the results of which are embodied in his book, "The Development and Character of Gothic Architecture."

It has been thought fitting on this occasion to exhibit a number of sketches and finished compositions which were produced by Professor Moore during his period of teaching here at Harvard, a number of which were painted subsequent to his meeting with Ruskin and on trips to Europe during 1876-78. His interest and devotion to the cause which Ruskin inaugurated will long be a recognized inspiration in the work of the Department of Fine Arts at Harvard. This exhibition will undoubtedly appeal to those of the University who knew Professor Moore and alumni returning at Commencement are especially invited to visit the Fogg Museum to see examples of his work.