WAITERS ORGANIZE CREW AT RED TOP

Two Days at Old Positions Rejuvenates Men and Whiteside--Freshmen Still Appear Certain Winners

Red Top, Conn., June 12--Harvard's first-string oarsmen spent this morning in a four mile row downstream, during which Coach White side had his charges practice starts as well as spurting for a couple of half miles. This was also the order of the day for the Jayvees, who more or less duplicated the University's program when they went out on the Thames later in the morning.

Coach Haines' eights, the Freshman and combination shells, rowed down two and a half miles, also practicing starts. The 1933 aggregation has taken to the waters of the Thames as if it had had many a season there, and from their continued good work, much may be expected of them when they meet Yale on June 20. Rice is still out of the combination, with McKesson in his place.

The waiters at the Harvard quarters have begun to talk about a race, and this afternoon, after commandeering some Yale oars to fit out a shell, an eight took to the water. It included Francis Parkman '18, C. F. Bound '32, Marshall Rawle '30, P. M. Whitman '32, P. H. Clark Jr. '30, E. C. Nickerson II '32, W. M. Rainbolt Jr. ocC, A. V. Woodworth Jr. '33, and O. S. Staples Jr. '30.

The afternoon's workout consisted, for the crews being coached by White side, of a row one mile below the bridge. Coach Haines' eights went over the middle two miles of the course at a high stroke, but no time was given. Any times taken during the day of the University and Jayvee crews were also withheld. Good weather prevailed, and rowing conditions were as fine as the oarsmen have had during their two weeks and more in camp.

Coach White side feels better now that his eight has returned to its seating of the early part of the season, with Dickey at seven and Colloredo-Mannsfeld back at stroke. The oarsmen seem to share that feeling, for their work today was particularly smooth.

On the upstream course, returning from the bridge this afternoon, they rowed a very slow stroke for about a half-mile, then raising it gradually to 35 or 36 as they drew near the end of the course. F. A. Clark '29, captain last year, observed a great deal of the workout from a single, when he arrived at the pier several minutes after the crews had put out.