THE WISOONSIN PIONEER

People are not very kind to departures from the beaten track--unless these departures happen to be mechanical and designed to save a few steps. Even in the case of such devices, certain classes of farmers have nothing but scorn for new fangled ideas. When it comes to educational innovations the opposition spreads from the traditionally conservative class to those who are at least liberal enough to pay installments on an electric ice box. A particular example of the rough treatment handed out to educational pioneers is the public attitude towards the work of Alexander Meikle john, deposed president of Amherst College and present head of the Wisconsin Experimental College.

A little while ago the press proclaimed Professor Meikle john's college a failure and insinuated that the University of Wisconsin authorities had determined to abandon the test school. Recent reports from Madison including Professor Meikle john's own statement on the work of the school since its establishment in 1927, however, brand the rumors of failure as baseless. Far from not being a success, the college which makes a point of studying civilizations rather than the usual curriculum will continue its work. Professor Meikle john is particularly pleased with the solution of the first year study and is hopeful for a proper working out of the details of the upper class program.

After the hostile attitude taken by many leaders of public opinion and the spreading of much adverse criticism it is notable to find the Experimental College still planning, to go on with its trail blazing. "The methods and principles of this school have little in common with the recent trend in academic style at Harvard, save in the significant common leaning towards more personal contact between the teacher and student. It is this characteristic that marks both the Experimental College and the Harvard House Plan. Unlike Harvard, Wisconsin is not rushing with its experiment into any vast program of change. The final success or failure of the plan will, nevertheless, be an important contribution to American university theory. Meanwhile it is encouraging to find that the mid-western university which is so justly famous for its liberality is giving Professor Meikle john a full opportunity to prove the practicality of his plan.