Harvard Confers 1965 Degrees On Students in the University

More High Awards Than Ever Before--About One Third Win Honors

Harvard University today conferred 1965 degrees, the largest number in its history, at the Commencement exercises held in Sever Quadrangle, which brought to a close its 294th year.

Of these 634 went to undergraduates in Harvard College, 494 receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts, 189 with honors, and 140 that of Bachelor of Science, 41 with honors. Thus more than one-third, or over 36 percent, of those graduating in Harvard College received honors in studies, establishing a record.

In the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences 168 men won the degree of Master of Arts, 78 that of Doctor of Philosophy, and 7 that of Associate in Arts.

The Engineering School graduated 39 Bachelors of Science, 18 with honors, 5 Masters of Science, 26 Masters of Science in Engineering, and 6 Doctors of Science.

The Law School graduated 398 Bachelors of Law, 20 Masters of Law, and 10 Doctors of the Science of Jurisprudence. The Business School graduated 321 men, 54 of them with distinction, and awarded a degree of Doctor of Commercial Science. The Medical School graduated 134 doctors, 22 with honors. Other departments of the University awarded degrees in lesser numbers.

The highest scholastic distinction in Harvard College, that of winning the A.B. or S.B. degree, Summa cum Laude, with highest honors, was awarded to 21 men, the largest number ever to receive this degree from Harvard:

A.B. Summa cum Laude, Highest Honors:

Benjamin Alexander, Edmund Callis Berkeley, Spencer Brown, Lyman Henry Butterfield. Frank McMinn Chambers, Joseph Leo Doop, Jerome David Frank, Ray Irvine Hardin. Albert Gailord Hart, 2d., Leo Tolstoi Hurwitz, Franklin Hasse Kissner. Walter Frederick Koetzle, Edward VanPraag Lee, Benjamin Butler McKeever, Jr., Reginald Henry Phelps, Otto Eugene Schoen-Rene, George Winslow Simpkins, John Walker, 3d., Frederick Mundell Watkins, John Frank Wood.

S.B. Summa cum Laude, Highest Honors.

John Chester Miller.

The highest honor in the Law School, the Fay Diploma, went to Orrin Grimmell Judd, of Brooklyn, New York. Eleven men were graduated Magna cum Laude and one Summa cum Laude.