FISKE TO TEACH ENGLISH AT TURKISH COLLEGE

INTERNATIONAL GOOD WILL AIM OF INSTITUTION

Announcement was made yesterday that J. C. Fiske '30 will travel to Constantinople next year to take a position at Robert College as an English instructor and dormitory proctor. He is being supported in this work by the Phillips Brooks House Association, which is interested in the project as an experiment in the creation of international good will.

Robert College was founded in 1863 by C. R. Robert, a New York merchant, who was assisted in the work by a group of Yale men. The school is located on the site of an old Turkish fort on the Bosporus about six miles from Constantinople. The student body includes young men of about 21 nationalities, chiefly Turkish, Greek, and Bulgarian. Slightly more than half of the students are moslems, with the sons of Turkish government officials forming the most prominent class.

Two Schools Included

At the present time the institution includes an engineering school and a preparatory school, the entire system being under the supervision of the Turkish Minister of Education, while the faculty and financial backing are drawn from the United States.

Phillips Brooks House has already supported Harvard men at this foreign institution, including G. W. Alport '19, G. P. Hayes '20, and C. E. Dickerson '20. The backers of the school are interested primarily in the development of international understanding and good will.