CRIMSON STOPS R. I. RALLY TO WIN 5-4

Outfielder Sprains Ankle in First Inning--Mitchell Shifts His Lineup Again With Return of Mays

In spite of a desperate ninth inning rally, Rhode Island State went down in defeat before the Harvard nine to the score of 5 to 4 with the tying run on third base in the last frame, yesterday at Soldiers Field. MacHale pitched for the Crimson until he got in trouble in the ninth with two men out, and was relieved by Devens who struck out the last batter and clinched the victory.

In the first inning, Bassett sprained his ankle sliding into second. The injury was not serious, however, and it is expected that he will be back in the line-up within a week.

Harvard Scores First

Harvard was the first team to score, getting a run across in the second inning. The visitors evened things up in the following frame and the score remained tied at one all until the sixth, when both teams tallied again. In the seventh Harvard forged ahead getting two more runs and scoring again in the eighth. Rhode Island tried hard in the ninth and succeeded in pushing two more men across the plate, but failed to tie the score.

In the ninth, Lazarek, the first man at bat for the visitors went out, Nugent to Wood. After him Winsor singled. MacHale passed Smith, Dobosynski then hit to Des Roches forcing Winsor and reaching first himself on the play. Lettieri followed and was walked filling the bases, and making way for the head of the batting order. Kearns singled, scoring Smith and Dobosynski while Lettieri went to third. At this point Devens went in and struck out Flaherty ending the game.

Men From Seconds in Action

Two men were brought up from the seconds today to see action with the University team. L. B. Belknap '32 and R. J. Des Roches '32 both played, the former relieving Lupien in the ninth inning at left field while the former batted for Lupien in the eighth inning.

Harvard's scoring started in the second when Nugent led off with a single. After Wood and Lupien had both gone out, Des Roches hit to right and on the fielder's fumble he went to third while Nugent scored on the play. The tally in the sixth came as the result of a hit by McGrath, a sacrifice by Nugent, and a double by Wood.

In the following inning, Fincke and MacHale both received free passes to first and after Huxtable went out on a grounder to third Fincke came in on May's single while MacHale crossed the plate on the next play after Lettieri had caught McGrath's by. In the eighth. Wood singled. He was sent to second when R. J. Des Roches walked and both runners advanced a moment later on a passed ball. Wood tallied when F. J. Des Roches knocked a long fly to center field.

The summary: HARVARD   ab  r  h  po  s  e Bassett, r.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Huxtable, r.f.  3  0  2  0  0  0 Mays, s.s.  4  0  1  3  3  1 McGrath, c.f.  4  1  1  0  0  0 Nugent, 2b.  5  1  1  2  2  0 Wood, 1b.  4  1  2  12  0  0 Lupien, l.f.  5  0  0  1  0  0 Belknap, l.f  0  0  0  0  0  0 Des Roches, F. sb  4  0  1  5  5  3 Fincke, c  5  1  0  8  0  0

ab  r  h  po  a  oMacHale, p.  3  1  1  0  3  0* Des Roches, R.  0  0  0  0  0  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals  31  5  9  27  11