LIBRARY PROTECTION

The action of the library officials in requiring all users of the library to submit their books and bags for inspection can be met only with assent. The frequent disappearance of volumes last year at an unprecedented total necessitates a drastic means of prevention in order to insure the proper supply of books for the users. Whatever inconvenience may be imposed on the members of the library is an unavoidable adjunct to the protection of the majority.

Undoubtedly some will, consider it an insult to be held up by a customs inspection each time they leave the library, but, since all alike will receive this treatment, it must be taken with a spirit of cooperation. There were numerous complaints from members of large courses when books were missing from the shelves last year; this very group, comprising the majority of the men in college, can scarcely afford to object to what seems to be the only means of keeping the shelves intact.

Since the rear entrance to the library will be closed for the greater part of the year because of the construction taking place, a good opportunity is offered to the library officials to experiment with methods of conducting the inspection. There will probably be several systems tried out before a satisfactory one is found. The broad exit to the Yard must be narrowed sufficiently to examine every man leaving the library. Despite all the disadvantage and nuisance promised in such a step, there is undoubtedly no other solution.